In the summer everyone complains that it is too hot and they can’t wait for cooler temperatures. In the winter everyone complains it it too cold and can’t wait for the warm weather.
This winter has been anything but fun for someone who enjoys the sunshine, open toe shoes, and the beach. Over the past few weeks something has come up that has made me dislike winter more and more so for you today I am sharing 5 things I learned this winter and why I can’t wait for the warm weather.
1. Snow days as an adult are not the same as when we were kids. Being off from school was always the best! I remember waking up and having to know if we would have school or not. Sometimes we did while other times we would sadly have to go in and learn. This winter, I have had one too many snow days from work. I can’t tell you how much I would rather be there than at home (and not that it is bad to be there). When I know there is a snow storm coming I hope that it will not leave me stuck.
2. Sporting events are made for warm weather & not for outside in the cold. For Christmas, my boyfriend wanted tickets to the Islander v Ranger game and I was up for the challenges! One being actually getting the tickets which ended up being no problem. The other being actually going to the game which was more problematic than buying the tickets. For me, this was a once in a lifetime experience and will let others enjoy it. Go freeze your pants off and the 5 layers over them while I sit in the comfort of my own home and enjoy ANYTHING else!
3. As much as I enjoy working out everyday I would much rather be running outside rather than in the gym. I do not enjoy seeing the 4 walls of the gym even if I can get on a treadmill by the window. I love the fresh air, the trees, and the way my feet feel when they hit the pavement. I want to be able to wear a t-shirt or a light jacket and feel the wind in my face. Recently, it was in the 50s on Long Island and I took the opportunity to go for a nice 6.5 mile run outside. When the weather is warmer it does give me a good excuse to work on my tan while exercising outside.
4. Layer up! Don’t get me wrong, I love wearing sweatshirts, but I would much rather wear them on a ‘cool’ summer evening than a frigid winter day. I own several jackets, a hundred pair of socks, and dozens and dozens of shoes but would rather wear none of them. I remember last winter I hardly wore my heavy coat, or a coat at all for that matter, unless I was going out. This winter I have worn it every day zippered to my chin. Someone recently even said to me “I can’t believe you are in a jacket.”. It made me think about how I have worn a jacket every single day even when I am going to the gym.
5. I am sick of hearing conversations/news stories about the snow. Yes, I am guilty just as much as the next one talking about this but enough already! I want to hear about the heat, sunshine, where you are going on summer vacation so that I can be completely jealous, and anything else that brings cheer other than a foot of snow. Typical conversations this winter include – “did you have a snow day?”, “was your office open?”, “will I have to go into work tomorrow?’, “how much did it snow last night?”, “did you shovel?” and other similar questions.
So there you have it! What have you learned this winter? Share in the comments below.