I am not one that partakes in ‘Lent’ as it is not part of my beliefs but as someone who is very interested in health and wellness I want to give you some tips! There are some things that you can give up from your diet and also add into your life to brighten and make it better!
1. Are you an avid soda drinker? I am not however I can make a suggestion for you. If you have more than 3 cans a day why not substitute at least one with plain, flavored or coconut water? Even if you want to cut back substitute out! I love to drink water as I can usually be seen with a 64 oz re-useable bottle in my hands. Another thing you can do is make ice cubes with pieces of your fruit selection in it.
- Make a combo of different fruits and even add in some mint for an extra burst of refreshing goodness!
2. Are you like most and need that sweet chocolate fix at night? How about I tell you to step away from that milk chocolate or worse white chocolate and get a nice bar of dark chocolate? One or two little squares of dark will satisfy that craving that you get. It may be a little bitter but that is okay because the need for a lot will be decreased.
3. Ice cream or an ice pop on a hot summer day or a cold winter night is always a yummy treat! There are so many great ways you can healthify (is that even a word?) this tasty treat! Get some low or no fat Greek yogurt and either freeze it as is or make it into a pop. You can add pieces of fruit, cacao nibs, or any of your favorite healthy items to it.
4. A substitute for chips and dip or salsa? How about hummus and veggies? If that isn’t satisfying enough make your own chips. All you need is whole wheat/grain tortillas and a little sea salt. I show you how easy they are to make in my Superbowl post!
5. Try to avoid those sugar filled smoothies that you get at those unnamed places. You can so easily make this at home. You can use almond, rice, soy, or coconut milk, water, and green tea as a base. To this you can add fresh fruit, cinnamon, ice, pumpkin puree, or anything else that you wish. The possibilities are endless! If you are feeling daring add in some protein powder and make it a midday snack!
6. Add in a little exercise to your day. My favorite time of day to get this in is in the morning. I usually wake up about 6am and either head to the gym or do some workout at home. Once the weather is nicer I will for sure enjoy being out in the afternoon/evening and working out outside. If you want to incorporate fitness into your life start slow. Something is better than nothing! Go for a walk around the block. Walk up and down your stairs a few times. There are thousands and thousands of videos online for FREE that you can watch. Many of these you don’t even need equipment for!
As we gear up for summer what healthy changes are you making to your life? I challenge you to give up at least 1 thing for at least the next 30 days that has a healthier alternative. See what happens to your life and your body!