This weekend I decided to make some delicious black bean burgers for either lunch or dinner throughout the week. I love this simple and delicious recipe. This week I decided to make it really simple with only 5 ingredients. Pretty clean and healthy! Before I gave up meat I loved to eat burgers/beef so I had to think of a quick substitute that can almost fully satisfy that ‘craving.’
1. Wash and drain the black beans.
2. Place the black beans in a food processor to get them to be almost a paste. There can be larger pieces but you want a majority of it to be paste like.
3. Peal and grate the carrots.
4. Either chop or use the food processor for the spinach.
5. Put the egg and flaxseed into a bowl with the other ingredients and mix together.
6. Make the mixture into a patty.
7. You can cook these either in the oven for at least a half hour at 350 degrees or cook on the stove top pan. I did a combination of both only because I was under time constraints. I had them in the oven for about 15 minutes and then on the stove top until completely cooked.
When shopping at a sort of local natural food store called ‘Wild By Nature’ I saw a product that popped off of the shelf. I hadn’t heard of the NEAT products before but I was willing to give this meat replacement a try. The only part of the line the store had was the Italian Mix. This was SUPER easy to make. Dare I say easier than the black bean burgers. The only ingredients in the mix are pecans, garbanzo beans, gluten free whole grain oats, garlic, onion, and sea salt. To the already made mixture you add 2 Tablespoons of water and 2 eggs or a substitute to keep it vegan. I also added about a teaspoon of Parmigiano Cheese just for the heck of it. You cook them on the stove top for about 7-10 minutes or until cooked through. I have only tried a little bit of them but they did come out delicious! I can’t wait to have this with some veggies.